Olive Oil is full of important health benefits, such as healthy fats. It is often referred as: “Liquid Gold“.
It is a favorite among chefs, and nutritionists. It is also a staple in the heart healthy Mediterranean diet.
What makes olive oil such a healthy choice?
True 100% Extra Virgin Oil is a light delicate addition to many wonderful dishes. Let’s take a look at the health benefits of olive oil.
- Olive Oil is your heart’s best friend:
Prevents Cardiovascular disease (atherosclerosis and atherothrombosis)
○ Consumption of about two table spoons of olive oil reduced LDL (“bad” cholesterol) and mildly raise HDL (the “good” cholesterol).
○ This beneficial effect of olive oil on lipids is mediated through its antioxidant components, especially polyphenols and vitamin E.
○ It reduces the chance of “thrombosis” (clot formation) in arteries by reducing factors that either cause clotting (plasma factor VII) or inhibit break-down of clots already formed (plasminogen activating inhibitor)
- Prevention of osteoporosis : Healthy Bones Olive oil appears to have a favourable affect on bone calcification and bone mineralization. A study showed that olive oil helps increase blood levels of calcium, which is a mineral often linked to stronger bones. It helps calcium absorption, thus playing an important part during the growth period and prevention of osteoporosis.
- Cancer prevention
The polyphenols in olive oil help lower the risk of certain types of cancers, which is why it is part of the top 10 cancer fighting foods. Most cancers are caused by oxidative stress and chronic inflammation.
Polyphenols act as antioxidants by fighting the effects of oxidative stress and also contains high levels of oleic acid, a potent anti-cancer fatty acid.
- Prevention of Type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
A diet rich in olive oil also facilitates glycemic control by leaving “less room” for carbohydrates (particularly “simple sugars” that cause insulin spikes and premature hunger attacks)
Oils are usually not linked to anti-inflammatory effects, due to the fact that most oils are nearly 100% fat which causes unwanted inflammation. But Olive oil is different, because of its polyphenols content.
Olive oil has a wide variety of polyphenols, which help reverse pro-inflammatory enzymes and molecules in the body.
- Aging and Longevity
Extra virgin olive oil contain high quality of polyphenols which is antioxidant. Its antioxidant effects inhibit peroxidation and reduces mitochondrial DNA damage, preserving vitality and youthfulness.
- Brain health: Alzheimer’s disease
Better health of the brain and cognitive function is often linked to the Mediterranean diet. Since olive oil is one of the main ingredients in this diet, research showed that intensive use of olive oil helped with visual memory.
Oleocanthal, an olive oil component has been shown in scientific research to slow down the progression
- Digestive health
So many of the benefits of olive oil are due to polyphenols. Digestive health is another one. Polyphenols slow down the growth of unwanted bacteria that is linked to digestive tract infections. They also stop the growth of H. Pylori, a bacterium that is often linked to stomach ulcers
“In cooking, drizzle your extra virgin olive oils over soups, vegetables, seafood, or steaks before grilling just to name a few options. Rub olive oil on your turkey and/or chicken with your veggies before roasting.
It should really only be used cold, typically drizzled on salads and other food.
It’s important to realize it is NOT good for cooking.
• Olive oil is also known for its many versatile uses: Skin moisturizer, eye make up remover, earache remedy, moisturizing cuticles, hair growth, sunburn relief, bath oil, use on scalp for dandruff.
• For stainless steel cleaning , furniture polish, natural lubricant for a close shave to name a few.
* Throughout this website, it is solely the opine of the writer who is not a medical practitioner, therefore many statements made are of common gathering.
Butter/Margarine to Olive Oil conversion Chart
|Butter/Margerine||Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 tsp||3/4 tsp|
|1 tbsp||21/4 tsp|
|1/4 cup||3 tbsp|
|1/3 cup||1/4 cup|
|1/2 cup||1/4 cup + 1 tbsp|
|2/3 cup||1/2 cup|
|3/4 cup||1/2 cup + 1 tbsp|
|1 cup||3/4 cup|